The following information is provided as a result of a recent reconnaissance of the hotel we have selected for the 2016 Reunion in San Antonio.
- The hotel is really neat! The Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio River Walk underwent a 70-million-dollar renovation a few years ago, transforming the former Alamo National Bank into a top tier hotel. It has maintained the exquisite interior of the bank with a stunning lobby with gold ceilings. The standard rooms are quite nice, and the suites are large and comfortable. It is rated by Trip Advisor as the number 10 of 350 hotels in San Antonio. Check out our hotel’s website (https://www.druryhotels.com/locations/san-antonio-tx/drury-plaza-hotel-san-antonio-riverwalkopens in a new window) for photos. James Bennett is our on-site coordinator; Bob Akam is in direct support.
- The cost of the room ($125 plus tax) includes several things that normally cost extra in many hotels.
- A full, hot breakfast.
- A "kick back" time each evening, 5:30 – 7:00 pm, which includes all-you-can-eat food like pastas, a salad bar, chicken fingers, nachos, soups, hot dogs, baked potatoes, and a selection of drinks (including beer, wine, or mixed drinks).
- Free wifi.
- An indoor pool, an outdoor pool on the 23rd floor, a fitness room, and free popcorn, soda, and coffee for many hours of the day.
- The location is right on the famous River Walk, and there is a water taxi stop at the hotel. The River Walk has dozens of restaurants and lots of shops, which are all within a few blocks.
- The hotel is within easy walking distance of several downtown sights, including the Alamo and shopping areas.
- The airport is about 10 miles/18 minutes away. A taxi will cost approximately $35 (for up to 4 people), and the GO shuttle to get to downtown is $18 per person.
- All of our main activities (registration/hospitality room, store, silent auction, Friday and Saturday night events in the ballroom) will take place in close proximity on the fourth floor of the hotel.
- Parking is $15 per day (down from the regular $21 price), but the parking is really convenient and the daily extras (see above), in our opinion, at least offset the parking cost.
IMPORTANT NOTE 1: Be sure you make your reservations with the correct Drury Plaza Hotel. There is another one in the area, but there is only one on the River Walk. There is also a sister hotel (across the street) named Drury Inn and Suites; avoid this one too. When registering at www.druryhotels.comopens in a new window, you need to click on "Reservations" and then once on the reservations page, enter our group number (2253104) in the upper left.
IMPORTANT NOTE 2: If you are driving to the hotel (from outside the city or from elsewhere within the city), please do not pull up or stop on the St. Mary’s Street side of the hotel. Instead, find Commerce Street (one-way) going west, go past St. Mary’s Street, go past the main entrance to the hotel, then turn left into the garage area and pull up to the valet station.