Looking for something to do on Friday at the reunion if you aren’t a golfer or don’t have your motorcycle with you? Possibly you know a little about San Antonio, and you have already planned some of your own sightseeing to the River Walk, the Alamo and Mission Trail; but still, you don’t know what else to do. Please read on, and let us know by
June 1 if you’re interested.
You may be in luck, and this hidden gem may be exactly what the first 49 respondents will be talking about during the "Stable Your Mount" Friday evening. How many other Troopers and their Spouses will have had the pleasure of being taken on a walking tour of the historic Fort Sam Quadrangle, Geronimo Tower and Museum by the one and only Fort Sam Museum Curator, CSM (ret.) Bill Manchester?
It gets better: a bus windshield tour will highlight important landmarks such as Pershing House; Stillwell House; Ike and Mamie Eisenhower meeting spot; Long Barracks; Post Chapel; Cavalry & Light Artillery Post; Station Hospital; Old Brook Army Medical Center; and some of the New Post! Keep your eyes open for a few WWII Vintage Soldiers and Vehicles providing support to your journey into the past.
Date: Friday, June 17
Location: Depart from the Hotel Lobby at 9:30 am and arrive at Fort Sam Houston at 10 am. Spend an hour in the Quad and Museum. Mount up and depart the Quad for some living history 11 am – 1 pm. Arrive back at the Hotel Lobby before 2 pm.
Lunch: There will be an opportunity to order your box lunch from the same caterer that supports our other evening events, and your lunch will be delivered to the Hotel Lobby at 9 am, just in time to board the bus. We will have an ice chest with water as well, just in case we get some of that famous San Antonio Heat.
Transportation: Our Imperial Bus comes complete with air conditioning, an on-board latrine, and WiFi.
Cost: $10 per person for the bus, $10 per boxed lunch, and potentially a small gratuity to the bus driver. Please pay for the bus and lunch at the registration table when you sign in. Note that the museum and curator are not allowed to receive donations or tips under the Center for Military History regulations.
If You Want to be Included in the group of 49: Sign up as soon as possible, and no later than June 1. We will need some information to get you cleared onto Fort Sam Houston. For each person, please email the following three items to Tom Smart at opens in a new firstname.lastname@example.org new email not later than June 1:
Driver’s License Number or State ID number:
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich: Buffalo Sauce, Blue Cheese Dressing, and Lettuce served on a Hoagie Roll
- The Italian: Salami, Pepperoni, Ham, Pepperoncini’s, and Provolone Cheese served with Italian Dressing on a Hoagie Roll
- Club Sandwich: Turkey, Ham, Bacon, Cheddar, Provolone, Lettuce, and Tomato-and-Herbed Mayo on a Hoagie Roll
- Turkey Sandwich: Turkey, Swiss, Lettuce, Tomato, and Basil Aioli on Sourdough Bread
- Southwest Wrap: Grilled Chicken Strips, Corn, Black Beans, Pepper Jack Cheese, Lettuce, and Tomato with Chipotle Caesar Dressing in an Herbed Wrap
- Roast Beef Wrap: Roast Beef, Provolone, Lettuce, and Tomato with Blue Cheese Dressing in an Herbed Wrap
- California Croissant: Turkey Breast, Provolone, Avocado Slices, Crisp Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato with Herbed Mayo on a Croissant
Dewey Bolton or Bob Akam will keep everyone informed of any changes as we get closer to June. Please contact Dewey if you have any questions.
opens in a new email@example.com new email or 210-835-4637 (cell)
opens in a new firstname.lastname@example.org new email or 520-678-1106 (cell)